June 27, 2011

Kauai Beaches: Beach Names

I would like to send a HUGE MAHALO to all following along! I love your questions and your feedback!

This journey to see 30 beaches in 30 days is definitely just as exciting the second time around! I love the opportunity to visit new beaches (ones I missed in the 2010 series) as well as to return to my favorites.

I thought I should drop a line to let you know a few things about our beaches, particularly about our beach "names".

Finding the beach names has proven to be very entertaining and quite interesting, especially to determine beach names for the smaller sandy ones.

Some beaches have a clear name but others have names that vary depending on where you look and there are even some that have a "surf" name, but not a beach name.  Even more interesting, there are a couple of beaches (on opposite sides of the island) that have the same name (like Baby Beach in Kapaa and Koloa)!

I have decided that for "naming" each beach I look at a couple of different resources (books, maps, internet), ask a few friends, then select the name most frequently used (or just the one I like the best).

Hope you continue to follow along and enjoy this journey as much as I do!

Mahalo, Jamie

Follow the blog: kauaibeaches.blogspot.com

Follow on Twitter @kauaibeaches

Follow on Facebook: www.facebook.com/kauaibeaches

No comments:

Post a Comment